November is the month of sweet potato awareness,
Like most coastal kids many chilly evenings were eating warm sweet potato boiled in brine.
A favourite dish is what we called as genasu taLu, or the sweet potato stir fried crisp. Which we ate as stand alone dish, or with curd rice or with chapatti.
3 cups of diced sweet potato (usually skinned but it can be eaten with the skin)
4 red chilli.
2 tsps. Of cumin seeds
¾ cup fresh coconut scarping.
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. Coconut oil.
2 tsps, mustard
1 tsp. Urad dal
1 red chili for seasoning
Pinch of asafoetida.
• Skin and dice the sweet potato.
• Dry roast the cumin and 4 red chilli pods, powder to a fine powder. (you can substitute it with 1and ½ tsp each of cumin powder and chilli powder.)
• In a wok pour the coconut oil, when the oil is warm
• Add the mustard, urad dal and one chilli in that order.
• Now add in the cumin- chilli paste
• Add the coconut and sauté a minute.
• Now add in the diced sweet potato and sprinkle water. Keep it closed and let it cook for about 10- 15mnts, stirring it so that it does not stick to the pan..